Monday 15 November 2010

FEMALE APPRENTICE MAKES THE MOTORSPORT GRADE

A Bury apprentice has been selected from hundreds of applicants to be part of a new Volkswagen Group motorsport team.

Vicky Moorby, who is learning her trade as a car technician at Bury Volkswagen retailer Smith Knight Fay, impressed judges with her knowledge of motor performance at a team selection day recently.

The process was extremely competitive, after Volkswagen receiving over 300 applications from Volkswagen Group apprentices all over the UK for just 12 positions.

The 18-year-old is the only female in the team and spoke of her delight at securing a prestigious place on the motorsport team, that will last for a year.

She said: “I’m thrilled that I have this very rare opportunity to apply my knowledge and enthusiasm to motorsport

“I owe a great deal to Smith Knight Fay and Volkswagen, they’ve given me so much already with my apprenticeship and this feels like the icing on the cake – I’m so excited.”

Following her selection, Moorby and her team-mates supported a Skoda Fabia rally car at an event in Worcestershire, where it performed rides, drives and public displays.

Smith Knight Fay’s brand manager, Steve Thomas, said: “Vicky has great passion about her job and her hard work has paid off by this reward.

“It’s great for the region to have a representative working for a national team and that Smith Knight Fay Volkswagen is training apprentices to the highest standard.”

Now half-way through her three-year apprenticeship course, the car enthusiast reaffirmed her desire to reach great heights as a motor technician.

Vicky added: “This is the only job I have ever wanted to do. I’m building my knowledge base and experience all of the time and I’m determined to reach the very top of my profession.”

No comments:

Post a Comment