Wednesday 12 August 2009

A SHORT STORY SUMMER CHALLENGE


Award winning writer, Michelle Harrison is encouraging children to keep the art of handwriting alive this summer.

The winner of the 2009 Waterstone’s Children’s Book Prize has teamed up with leading stationery brand uni-ball to offer budding authors the chance to complete a short story that opens with a specially penned introduction:

I only found out by accident. Ever since, I’ve been on edge. Waiting. A bit like when there’s a sluggish day in the summer: grey, too warm, airless, and the only thing that will clear the atmosphere is a good storm.

Half of the problem is what I know, and the other half is how I know it. I wasn’t supposed to find out – because I shouldn’t have been there. Now I don’t know what to do or how to act. I’ve never been much good at pretending.

Whatever I do, I need to think fast. I can hear footsteps on the stairs and I’m pretty sure I know who it is. Do they know that I know? Something tells me I’m about to find out . . .

The competition, open to children under the age of 16, not only keeps them busy during the school summer holidays, but it also follows the National Curriculum to serve as preparation for the back to school period.

Stuart Barker, marketing manager at uni-ball, said: "As soon as we read Michelle's opening paragraph, we wanted to find out more. This competition provides children with a wonderful opportunity to finish the story and be credited alongside one of the country's brightest authors.

"To survive going back to school children need to exercise their minds during long periods of leave. We look forward to reading interpretations of Michelle's work and wish all the entrants the very best of luck."

Details on how to enter can be seen by visiting www.writeasummerstory.blogspot.com. The deadline for entries will be September 25 2009. Prizes up for grabs include a signed copy of Michelle’s book Thirteen Treasures, Waterstone’s vouchers up to the value of £150 and back to school stationery kits.

ENDS

Issued on behalf of Mitsubishi Pencil Co. by Connect PR

For further information, please contact: Lee Southen on 01902 714957 or email
lee@connect-group.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment