Friday 5 March 2010

OLD GENERATIONS TEACHING NEW GENERATION

A teenage girl from Buckinghamshire has lived life in the fast lane after completing work experience in her dream job – a car technician.

While not the average 15-year-old girl’s first choice of work experience, for Kim Sample from Little Chalfont, it gave her chance to test her ability to join the motor industry.

To give her the best tutor, Little Chalfont’s Volkswagen retailer Citygate, assigned Kim to one of the most experienced serving technicians in the country.

Roger Caton has spent almost 50 years with Citygate Volkswagen as a technician and was able to share his wealth of experience with Kim during her time at the retailer.

Kim, who attends Amersham Secondary School, said, “A motor technician is a career I’m seriously considering when I finish school and after my time with Citygate and Roger, I’m thinking of applying to the Volkswagen Apprenticeship Programme.

“I would like to thank Roger and Citygate Volkswagen for the time to show me some of the many skills a technician requires.”

Peter Wood, brand manager for Citygate Volkswagen, said, “We are thrilled Kim chose to complete her work experience placement with us.

“We have never had any female technicians or placements at Citygate before, but it is fantastic news that young women like Kim are showing an interest in working with cars.”

Roger, who will retire later this year, said: “We need as many good mechanics as we can get and I’m glad I got the opportunity to teach Kim some of my skills.

“I’m pleased to see more females are thinking of this as a career option as it is not an occupation limited to men.”

No comments:

Post a Comment