Wednesday 16 June 2010

GOLFER SCOOPS 50,000/1 CAR

A golf fanatic has achieved a lifetime’s ambition and bagged a new car in the process.

Garth Harbison secured his first ever hole-in-one during a charity event at Fulwell Golf Club, Twickenham, after 36 years of trying.

The 45-year-old then picked up his new Volkswagen Polo from Twickenham Volkswagen on another special day – his birthday.

He said: “I’m still trying to understand what I’ve done! Winning the car was brilliant, but securing the hole-in-one is one of the best feelings I’ve ever had.

“I knew I’d hit the ball well, but didn’t see it drop because the hole was obscured due to the pin placement.

“Luckily two people were watching the hole and confirmed what had happened.”

The air traffic controller was playing in a fourball during the Captain’s Charity Day when he secured his ambition at the 158-yard 9th hole.

He was one of 140 golfers who played that hole on the day.

Fulwell Golf Club’s men’s captain, Peter Bowpitt, said: “It was a superb day with £6,197.42 raised for the Shooting Star Children’s Hospice and Kingston Hospital’s Cardiac Unit.

“Garth’s hole-in-one capped the day off brilliantly and made sure everyone will remember it for a long time.”

The women’s captain, Jane O’Neill added: “Thanks to the sponsorship from Twickenham Volkswagen Garth will have two fantastic memories of the day.”

Having played the game for so long Garth calculates that he must have played in the region of 50,000 holes and was coming to the conclusion that a hole in one would elude him.

He added: “Word quickly spread about what I’d done and soon there was lots of people congratulating me and asking me how I’d done it.

“I couldn’t give them a definitive answer but I’m sure everyone enjoyed the drinks I bought in the clubhouse.

Twickenham Volkswagen’s brand manager, Sanjay Pathak, said: “We’re really pleased for Garth, both for the hole-in-one and winning the Polo, and wish him many happy driving miles.

“Shooting Star Children’s Hospice and the Kingston Hospital’s Cardiac Unit provide vital services to the region and it’s important to help raise funds and awareness of them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment