Industry stats have revealed that LPG is increasing in popularity in the forklift market place.
For the second consecutive month, LPG has outsold diesel and in June 2010(1), sales of LPG fuelled counterbalance forklift trucks took a massive 188 per cent increase over the previous month’s sales(2). BITA figures also show that monthly LPG sales have increased year on year since May(3).
The British Industrial Truck Association (BITA) retail delivery statistics are announced monthly, providing an overview of the UK forklift truck market and the number of products sold, breaking down market share by fuel type. Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) powered forklift trucks now account for 30.2 per cent of all counterbalance forklift trucks sold in 2010(1).
Calor’s forklift truck specialist, Jim Moyes, says the figures come as no surprise as more and more operators realise the benefits of LPG. He explains: “The benefits of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) in the forklift market have been widely recognised over recent years with all of the major equipment manufacturers now offering LPG models in their product ranges.
“LPG avoids the lengthy charging periods associated with electric trucks and, as a cleaner burning fuel than diesel, LPG results in less potential for oil contamination and reduced overall engine wear(4). What’s more, lower carbon emissions from engines mean that they can be used inside in sensitive environments as well as outside on more difficult terrains(5).
Highlighting the advantages of choosing Calor, the UK’s leading LPG supplier, Jim says: “We work closely with customers to identify their individual needs and offer a fuel solution totally tailored to their operation.
“LPG supply goes far beyond merely the supply of gas or the fuel price. Discussions with an LPG expert with the right technical capability can ensure a hassle free conversion to LPG as well as providing a package of ongoing technical support, safety assurance and training.”
Forklift truck specialists from Calor will be available on the company’s stand at IMHX later this year to explain face-to-face the benefits of running an LPG powered forklift truck fleet, as well as the unique advances Calor is making in the forklift market including; larger capacity fixed fuel tanks that can reduce downtime, Magnatract™ cylinder technology that eliminates the risk interruptions in your fuel supply and safety test ‘date stamps’ that are placed on every single Calor forklift cylinder.
Calor also offers certified on or off site customer training to ensure staff can enjoy the benefits of LPG safely.
A registration process has been set up to enable people to pre-organise a meeting with a Calor representative before the show. To reserve some time with a Calor representative at the show, please email email@example.com with IMHX in the subject.
For more information on Calor’s supply solutions, visit www.calor.co.uk/forklifts or call 0800 121 7841.
- Ends -
Notes to Editors
(1) COntact firstname.lastname@example.org with 'LPG Share Rise' in the subject heading to receive details of 2010 retail deliveries broken down by fuel type.
(2) All stats are provided by BITA in its Retail Deliveries for 2010 report. LPG retail deliveries in May stood at 182 and in June increased to 342.
(3) 2010 total retail delivery figures for LPG: May = 182 (up 5% on 2009), June 342 (up 67% on 2009) and July 240 (up 5% on 2009).
(4) LPG continues to be acknowledged as an environmentally friendly and versatile fuel alternative without compromising performance achieving a 95 per cent reduction in NOx emissions compared to diesel. LPG powered FLTs produce, 2,000 per cent less NOx, 2 per cent less carbon dioxide and up to 120 times less small particle (PM10) emissions than diesel powered fleets. Small particle emissions are related to health effects including increased risk of heart and lung disease and problems such as asthma. All figures taken from the European Emission Test Programme (EETP) 2003.
(5) Contact email@example.com with 'LPG Share Rise' in the subject heading to receive a breakdown of 'How Calor Outperforms Other Fuels'